Sunday, September 13, 2009

Website Work Woes and other stories...


"Thought Process"
11 x 10
Acrylic on Paper
not for sale at this time

For the last 10 days I have been working on revamping my website. Hours and hours were spent on it... It had hundreds of pages under the "paintings" category, with subheadings that included~
  • Taking the High Road Series
  • Landscape
  • Faces and Figures
  • Animals
  • Gouache Ink Resist (including a demo section)
  • still life
  • abstract
  • My Year of Paintings Series...
So Friday morning... I excitedly push the "publish" button and we are off and running, for a couple of minutes... then the "serious error with SiteBuilder" screen comes up.... AAAAGGGGHHH!!!!
I want to throw up.

Luckily, I had saved most everything on an external hard-drive (I had learned that hard lesson a couple of years ago) So I spent more hours importing files into the fresh (uninstalled then reinstalled) SiteBuilder...and re-doing the links ( they didn't work when I put the pages back in) And stopped with just my current work posted. Someday I might add some of the stuff back in... but for now I'm calling it "good enough".

So... you are probably asking..."Why doesn't she hire this done so she can just paint???" Here's why~
  • the expense
  • the flexibility of adding pages when new work is done...immediately
  • I would drive a designer/programmer crazy with my indecision and waffling. (I drive myself crazy)
  • I don't want to hunt for or interview website designers.
  • my very strong 'self reliant' tendencies.
  • and...."I can do it myself" said the little red hen. (rolling my eyes here)
I'm not saying that these reasons are good reasons... but they are my reasons.
I drive me crazy.

5 comments:

jaytee said...

I think your reasons are fantastic reasons....... they are exactly the same as mine :lol:

Anonymous said...

If you ever want to hire, find a website you admire and contact it's designer (I have one in mind).

I love this piece. I love to do work like this and you are definitely inspiring me. Are you reading anything, like form, balance, blah blah?

Lauren Everett Finn said...

Jaytee... we just have to meet someday... LOL

Fookie... I might take you up on that suggestion at some point. As far as reading... I'm constantly reading... but no art books at the moment... "Tribes" by Seth Godin.. and "Outliers" Malcom Gladwell... "I'd rather be in the Studio" By Alyson Stanfield...

When I paint these non-representational paintings... I sort of try to have an idea in mind and then illustrate it... but not too blatantly. Clear as mud?

Morna Crites-Moore said...

Nice, nice painting. Like it a lot. :)

darin white said...

lauren, i saw that you had sent a direct message on twitter a while back. thanks for the comments on my sculpture! i enjoy your paintings. best, darin
http://twitter.com/darinwhite
http://darinwhite.com
http://facebook.com/darinwhite

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...